Thursday 2 January 2014

Review: Taste of Darkness by Maria V. Snyder

This is the first series that I got for review, when I started blogging.  Now, this series ends and I am one of the die-hard fans of Maria Snyder.  And I am a happy and satisfied girl..


Original Title: Taste of Darkness
Series: Healer #3
Author: Maria V. Snyder
Publisher: Harlequin MIRA
Release Date: December 31st, 2013
Source: Review copy from the publisher
Genre: Fantasy, Young adult

This book starts just hours after the second book, Scent of Magic, ends.  Kerrick is trying just to be alive and he disappears without any word to Avry or anyone else.  Avry is on the search for Kerrick and when he is not found, she doesn't lose hope, but takes steps to help Ryne's strategies.  Meanwhile, Kerrick is developing new abilities or should I say less human and more forest abilities?  And new enemies keep coming up, more gruesome and more cannibalistic.

"Taste of Darkness" is as interesting and suspenseful as its previous healer books.  There is a lot of twists in the plot and Maria has not yet written a book that can be easily guessed.  Avry is the second kick-ass female character after Rose (from Vampire Academy series), that I LOVE SO MUCH.  And that's saying something, as it's very difficult to compare Rose with any other character.

The new enemy, the Skeleton King - well, that's the enemy I loved; that is the creature that made the book more..unputdownable.  I hated this hideous thing to the core and that is what made it more enjoyable when it all ended.  The strategies to the war are excellently thought-out and very well written down.

The old characters are good to look into in this novel.  The characters have grown a lot from the beginning; especially Flea.  I am the one who was smiling when the Poppa Bear made his appearance.  And when the rescue mission started and it's just like the old times; an excellent team operation.

If you want to read this book, you need to have read the previous ones, as the author has started off directly and without any side notes for new readers.  But you know, this is a series, so start from the first.  You won't regret it.

If I have to point out one thing that didn't impress me, it's the end that is brought out to Tohon (come on, that is actually not a spoiler!).  Of course, it's a small thing, but it still gnaws at me; I want a grand kill at the end. And the author has made up for with some romance and clean ups at the end.  But still, that guy is cruel and a sadist; he deserves a more painful death (Call me whatever you want, but I want him punished).

Perfect ending to a perfect series!  I am satisfied and going to dig more of Snyder's books..

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED SERIES!


SERIES ORDER

1.  Touch of Power - Review | Amazon | Goodreads
2.  Scent of Magic - Review | Amazon | Goodreads
3.  Taste of Death - AmazonGoodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...